Saturday, April 21, 2012

Delftware tile - The Ship & Blue Ball

Delftware tile - The Ship & Blue Ball

One of the many new 'Delft' tiles (actually paintings on panel and not ceramic!) I am creating for my Umbra Sumus (We Are But Shadows) solo show at the end of this month (April 27 - 29 inclusive) in Spitalfields.

This tile shows my imagined sign for an now-defunct Shoreditch pub, the Ship & Blue Ball. The handsome building on Boundary Street, e2 (clad is lovely green and cream tiles) is now the offices of a design agency, Bold Creative. But in its past life as a watering hole it is remarkable as being the place that the Great Train Robbery was plotted back in the early 60s.

At Christmas last year Shelf used the premises for a series of weekend pop-up shops, at which I was one of the guest artists showing and selling my work.

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2011/12/03/the-return-of-shelf/

No comments: