Monday, December 12, 2011

Twitter Ye Not - The Abdication


Twitter Ye Not - The Abdication

A regular piece for the Daily Mail Weekend magazine about how figures in history might have twittered or tweeted or whatever, had they the chance, inclination and technology.

On the 10th December 1936, Edward VIII signed the instruments of abdication, which allowed him to give up the throne in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Here, we imagine the reaction on Twitter.

As I had drawn Mrs Simpson before (for the piece about Amy Johnson) I have chosen here instead to portray the abdicating Ned VIII (very stylish, but definitely a bit of a shit) kneeing the Crown across to his reluctantly succeeding brother George VI (known to his family as Bertie).

Poor Bertie, the present Queen's pop, famously had a terrible stutter (the subject of the film 'The King's Speech' - hence the mic), as did I until about the age of 8 or 9. It can come back occassionally to this day if I get nervous or shy (surprisingly often).

Mine was largely cured by my primary school teacher Sharon Shapiro, who taught me to sing and spent many long hours helping me during lunch hours and breaks. I am forever indebted to Ms Shapiro. Thank you!

Behind Edward lies a pile of commerative mugs - obsolete then, but now worth a fortune!

This is the last TYN for this year - I'm having a Christmas break!

No comments: