Monday, May 26, 2008

Illustration Friday - "Seed"


Yes, I know, I'm a bit tardy with this one
(what is it now, two, maybe three weeks late!?)
but I was busy that week but really wanted to do this image for it.

Charles Pierre Baudelaire (1821 - 1867), poet and general miscreant, finds a quiet moment of reflection in his potting shed.

Biro sketch. coloured up &c. in PS. I've chosen the decadent shades of Absinthe and Claret as the palette for this rakish portrait.

Click on the Image to ENLARGE
Click on my Name to View BLOG

7 comments:

Daniel Chaffin said...

A little pointy in the nose but a great likeness. I almost recognized him... except I hadn't heard of that guy before.
But now that I've read a little about him, the color palette and subject matter do seem to evoke the essence of the man. Specifically I detect a stress related melancholy mood. Maybe this eludes to Baudelaire's struggle with illness and poverty.
What I'm trying to say is, he looks French. I like it.

Vhrsti said...

Hey Paul,
this is brilliant! And doesn't matter that you are late. It is never too late ;-)
V.

ElizT said...

Posh gardening clothes.

Elise's Art Garden said...

Always love your work Paul!!
I didn't know the particulars of Baudelaire's life either until reading of him, and found your image very fitting. What a miserable life......I wonder why brilliance is sometimes accompanied by such misery.

Pascal Kirchmair said...

I like this portrait, excellent!

Curious Art said...

Absolutely brilliant!

ali altschaffel said...

better late than never..great